Maybe you just got dumped, haven’t had sex in longer than you’d like to admit or are just really horny. Whatever the reason, a one-night stand could be the cure. However, if you’re new to sex with strangers, you might be a little leery. Before you hit the clubs on the prowl, check out these pros and cons to make sure the experience is really what you want.
The benefits of a tryst with a sexy stranger can include:
- Mind-blowing Sex – One-night stands are often the result of body shots and beer buckets, which can lower shyness and increase experimentation. You’re never going to see him again, so go ahead and try that pretzel-twist or fake British accent if that’s what gets you going.
- Ego Boost – Feeling like you’ve lost your mojo? Making eyes from across the room and closing the deal with ease can make you feel like the world’s sexiest woman.
- Feeling Liberated – Been shackled to the missionary position and polite kissing with boring dudes? Use this as a way to break out of the mold of the “good girl” and enjoy sex like a man.
On the other hand, exploring the sexual playground could leave you getting sand kicked in your face.
The repercussions that could come along with a quickie:
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – You don’t know this person very well and therefore are in the dark about his or her sexual health and history. You may also be inebriated, which can cause you to do things, like have sex without protection, that you normally would not.
- You Could Become Depressed – Making one-night stands a regular thing could mean you’re seeking something you can’t get from regular relationships. Beware of these interactions if you start feeling used or guilty.
- Becoming Attached – Sorry, ladies, but some of us have a hard time separating sex and emotions. If the thought of a guy sneaking out in the night or not taking you to brunch after you’ve spent the night doing the nasty makes you upset, you should skip the one-night stand.
In the end, you should do what you feel comfortable with and not feel pressured. If you find yourself in a situation that scares you or makes you feel uncomfortable, get out of there. Just because you started something with a guy doesn’t mean you have to finish it. On the other hand, it can be a great exercise in pushing your personal boundaries and creating new life experiences to do something out of the ordinary and challenge yourself.
By thinking through the options beforehand you can ensure that you are making the right decision – even if you feel bad about it later, don’t beat yourself up for too long. After all, you will never see that person again and you don’t even need to tell your friends about the one-night stand if you don’t want to. Keeping it to yourself can be a great little secret that adds to your mystery and relationship wisdom.